>Food for ThoughtPosted: October 22, 2010
>It’s Friday! The weekend’s coming up, and with (hopefully) more time on your hands to think and do things, here’s an inspiring article from the NYTimes about individuals making a difference in international development. Read it, think about it, and have a great weekend!
Highlights from the article:
- SHE (Sustainable Health Enterprises) developed menstrual pads out of banana tree fibers to reduce the cost of these sanitary items and therefore keeping more girls in school.
- A young woman went to Nepal after high school and founded a children’s home, the Kopila Valley Children’s Home, for Nepali orphans.
- A middle-class couple started a project, One Day’s Wages, to convince people to donate one day’s worth of their yearly income to charity.
- Nicholas Kristof’s article, How to Change the World (accompanying the original story)
- Global Giving, a site that lists causes around the world in need of financing.
- Change.org, another site that lists various causes that need support.